I'm an advocate for health, at all sizes.
Starting Weight: 235.4 / Lowest Weight: 183.5 / Current Weight: 185.0 / Height: 5'6''
Ask l Weightlossproblems l About me l Goals l Progress photos l FAQ l 30-day Challenge l Weigh-ins l Recipes l Music
Posts tagged fitness.
Real life friends:
- That 16.2% of children and adolescents, aged 2 to 19, are considered obese (as of 2008) in the United States? That’s more than triple what the rate was (about 5%) in the 1960s.
- That the general population in the U.S., aged 2 and above, consume only 0.5 cups of fruits and 0.8 cups of vegetables for every 1,000 calories? And only 0.3 ounces of whole grains for every 1,000 calories?
- That the average daily sodium intake in the U.S. was at 3,641 milligrams in 2006? That’s well over 1,200 milligrams more than the recommended intake for a healthy diet.
- That only about 43.5% of adults engaged in aerobic physical activity for at least 150 minutes (2.5 hours) per week in 2008? That number drops by about half (to 28.4%) for adults who engage in aerobic activity for at least 300 minutes (5 hours) a week.
- That in a survey done in 2006, only 3.8% of the private & public elementary schools in the U.S. require daily P.E.? Only 8.6% of middle schools and only 2.1% of high schools require daily physical activity. Of those schools that do require daily physical activity, only 33.3% of adolescents actually partake in the daily physical education at school.
I just wanted to share these with you all, because I was shocked by some of the numbers I was seeing, and this is only for the U.S. It’s great we’re all working to change our own lives and health, but we should also look at the bigger picture. We can take everything we’re learning during this journey and expand it past ourselves. Share what you’re learning with your family, friends, children, and the random people you meet on tumblr. Changing the future can start with us.
Be the change that you wish to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Here’s a healthy substitute idea for you, courtesy of dietsinreview.com! Mix plain greek yogurt with a packet of ranch flavoring. Perfect for salad dressing or dipping sauce :)